I received my Ph.D. in Computer Engineering from the University of Perugia in 2014. I am currently an Associate professor at the University of Perugia, Department of Engineering. My research interests include graph drawing and graph algorithms, computational geometry, information visualization and visual analytics, algorithm engineering for Big Data.
My curriculum vitae:
Large-scale Data Analysis & Visualization Lab
Since 2019, I am the coordinator of the LDAV LAB, the local node at the University of Perugia of the national CINI Big Data Laboratory.
MIUR, PRIN 2022,"NextGRAAL: Next-generation algorithms for constrained GRAph visuALization", prot. 2022ME9Z78 - Principal Investigator
Scientific project "Data driven techniques to tax evasion risk analysis" - Participant
Scientific project "Analisi e progetto di modelli, processi e algoritmi per la risoluzione di problemi di ottimizzazione su grafi legati alla mobilità elettrica e per l'analisi visuale dei dati" - Principal Investigator
Scientific project "Modelli, algoritmi e sistemi per la visualizzazione di grafi e reti" funded by the "Ricerca di Base 2019" program of the Engineering Department, University of Perugia - Principal Investigator
MIUR, PRIN 2017,"AHeAD: efficient Algorithms for HArnessing networked Data", prot. 00120174LF3T8 - Participant
Scientific Project "Analysis, design, and development of algorithms and interfaces for the visual analysis of data within the Knowledge Discovery system PiattaformaPA and B2B" - Participant
- Scientific project "Models and techniques for document categorization/indexing in the GLOBAL DOC system" - Participant
- Scientific project "INFINITY - Models and algorithms for the visual representation of information on the driving styles of a big dataset of drivers" - Participant
- MIUR Proj. Smart Cities and Communities and Social Innovation, "INTOUR: Intelligent Platform for Tourism", ref. SCN_00166 - Participant
- MIUR, PRIN 12,"AMANDA: Algorithmics for MAssive and Networked DAta", prot. 2012C4E3KT 001 - Participant
- Regional scientific project, "VITA: Information Visualization and Assistive Technologies" - Participant
- PacificVis 2024: IEEE 17th Pacific Visualization Symposium , April 23-26, 2024, Tokyo, Japan - PC member
- GD 2023: 31st International Symposium on Graph Drawing & Network Visualization, September 20-22, 2023, Palermo, Italy - PC member
- EuroCG 2023: 39th European Workshop on Computational Geometry, Barcelona, Spain - PC member
- MFCS 2022: 47th International Symposium on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, Vienna, Austria - PC member
- WG 2022: 48th International Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, Tuebingen, Germany - PC member
- EuroCG 2022: 38th European Workshop on Computational Geometry, Perugia, Italy - PC co-chair
- ITAVIS 2020: 2nd Italian Workshop on Visualization & Visual Analytics, September 28 - October 2 2020, Ischia, Italy - PC member
- GD 2020: 28th International Symposium on Graph Drawing & Network Visualization, September 15-18, 2020, Vancouver, Canada - PC member
- GD 2017: 25th International Symposium on Graph Drawing & Network Visualization, September 25-27 2017, Northeastern University in Boston, U.S.A. - PC member
- IISA 2016: 7th International Conference on Information, Intelligence, Systems and Applications, Special Session GNV: Graph and Network Visualization, July 13-15 2016, Chalkidiki, Greece - PC member
- GD 2023: 31st International Symposium on Graph Drawing and Network Visualization, to be held September 2023, Palermo, Italy - OC co-chair
- Dagstuhl Seminar 23162 on "New Frontiers of Parameterized Complexity in Graph Drawing", April 16-21 2023, Dagstuhl, Germany - Organizer
- EuroCG 2022: 38th European Workshop on Computational Geometry, March 14-16 2022, Perugia, Italy - OC co-chair
- Dagstuhl Seminar 21293 on "Parameterized Complexity in Graph Drawing", July 18-23 2021, Dagstuhl, Germany - Organizer
- EuroCG 2012: 28th European Workshop on Computational Geometry, March 19-21 2012, Assisi, Perugia, Italy - OC member
- June 2022. National Scientific Habilitation for full professorship in Computer Engineering (09/H1).
- September 2021. Recipient of the Best Young Italian Researcher Award in Theoretical Computer Science given by the Italian Chapter of the European Association for Theoretical Computer Science.
- September 2021. Best paper award at GD 2021.
- June 2016. Winner of the "2016 Algorithms Travel Award" sponsored by Algorithms, an international open access journal, which
provides an advanced forum for studies related to algorithms and their applications, published quarterly online by MDPI.
- February 2011. Winner of the national prize "Premi di Laurea Giorgio Santini 2010" for the best thesis in Computer Engineering.
Ongoing teaching activities:
Past teaching activities:
- Introduction to Computer Science and Programming, Bachelor Course in Engineering Management (Corso di Laurea Triennale in Ingegneria Gestionale), 6CFU (54 hours), 2022 - present
- Computational Models and Advanced Algorithms, Master Course in Computer and Robotics Engineering (Corso di Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica e Robotica), 9CFU (12 of 72 hours), 2020 - present
- Software Engineering, Master Course in Computer and Robotics Engineering (Corso di Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica e Robotica), 6CFU (48 hours), 2019 - present
- Big Data Management, Master Course in Computer and Robotics Engineering (Corso di Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica e Robotica), 6CFU (48 hours), 2017 - present
- Information Visualization and Visual Analytics, Master Course in Computer and Robotics Engineering (Corso di Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica e Robotica), 9CFU (12 of 72 hours), 2020 - 2022
- Laboratory of Information Visualization, Master Course in Computer and Robotics Engineering (Corso di Laurea Magistrale in Ingegneria Informatica e Robotica), 2011 - 2019
- Models and technologies for Big Data, Doctorate Course in Industrial and Information Engineering (Corso di Dottorato in Ingegneria Industriale e dell'Informazione)
- Visual analytics - Lab, Post-graduate Master (Master di II livello) in Data Science, 12 hours, 2017
- ICT for Smart Cities 2015, Post-graduate Master (Master di secondo livello) in Designing Smart Cities.
- Tutoring of Geometry, Undergraduate Course in Information Engineering (Corso di Laurea Triennale in Ingegneria dell'Informazione), 2011-2012
- Tutoring of Analysis II, Undergraduate Course in Information Engineering (Corso di Laurea Triennale in Ingegneria dell'Informazione), 2011-2012
In December 2017, I co-founded CONTATTI yi-zhong-yi Srl, a spin-off company of the University of Perugia. The company is made up by engineers and linguists and it is aimed at offering advanced ICT solutions and smart technologies to promote and develop tourism in Italy. In particular, the company has Chinese tourists as main target for its solutions and services.
I have been a collaborator of the Vis4 Srl company, started as a spin-off of the University of Perugia, and working in the Information Visualization and Visual Analytics fields.
The spin-off, founded in 2009, established relevant contracts and collaborations with national and international companies and institutions, like the Financial Intelligence Agency (AIF) of the San Marino Republic and Fabrica, the advertisement company of the Benetton group.
Vis4 is also one of the founding member companies of the GGB Consortium (Genomics, Genetics, and Biology), founded in the 2010 with the financial support of the Umbria Region; GGB is a center of technological excellence, both in the national and in the international contexts.
From 2010 to 2014 I worked as software engineer in several projects of the company.
In 2014 I have been appointed as administrator of the company. I quit this position in December 2014.
In November 2014, all the academic members of Vis4 have sold their shares to private entrepreneurs, and the company has changed his name.
Profiling Distributed Graph Processing Systems
through Visual Analytics
Visual Analytics System to Support Tax Evasion Discovery
Distributed Graph Drawing Algorithms
Visual Analysis of Biological Networks
Drawing Large Hierarchical Clustered Networks
Visual Analysis of Financial Activity Networks